Do you need comprehensive sickness insurance to be able to claim child benefit?

This is an extract from the HomeOffce website, click here

EEA Child does not hold sufficient resources/Comprehensive Sickness Insurance

‘… but I am not satisfied that the EEA national child holds (sufficient resources to prevent themselves and their primary carer(s) from becoming an unreasonable burden on the social assistance system of the United Kingdom, comprehensive sickness insurance for themselves and their primary carer(s).’

Tell us about the cover you need

People you want to add

Your Details

Where sufficient evidence has been submitted to demonstrate that the applicant has a right of admission to the UK, and where that person is not precluded from entering the UK on conduciveness grounds they should be issued with an EEA family permit.

If there is another person in the UK who can care for the British citizen, then a derivative family permit must be refused on the basis that such a refusal would not result in the British citizen being forced to leave the EEA.
This page lists countries in the European Economic Area (EEA) and tells you what public funds nationals of these countries can claim. Source: HomeOffice

EUN5.1 Can an EEA national minor child be considered a qualified person?
The ECJ ruled in the case of Chen that an EEA national child who held comprehensive sickness insurance would have a right to reside in the UK (as a self-sufficient person) with his primary carer, provided that the primary carer had sufficient resources to ensure that the child did not become a burden on public funds

The following countries are in the EEA.

Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Republic of Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal,
Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden.

EEA nationals can claim the following public funds:

  • Attendance allowance
  • Carer’s allowance
  • Council tax reduction
  • Child benefit
  • Child tax credits
  • Personal independence payment
  • Working tax credits
  • Disability living allowance
  • Contribution-based employment and support allowance (ESA)
  • Severe disablement allowance
  • Social fund payment
  • Universal credit.