Comprehensive sickness insurance for EEA family permits and EEA students

If you are coming to the UK from Europe, there are a million and one things that you need to think about and organise.  One thing you may not be aware of, but which is absolutely essential, is Comprehensive sickness insurance requirements for EEA nationals.  Very simply, this is an insurance policy that will cover the costs of most of the medical treatment you may require whilst you are in the UK. You may have to show you have this insurance in order to be allowed to live in the UK as an EEA national.

Tell us about the cover you need

People you want to add

Your Details

Comprehensive Sickness Insurance requirements for EEA nationalsAustria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and the United Kingdom.

Some people are not aware of this but the fact is that if you are an EEA national in the UK as a student or as a self-sufficient person, you and your sponsored family members must have comprehensive sickness insurance to cover you for the whole time that you are in the UK.  This is a vitally important document and something that you cannot afford to be without.  It works in two ways.  If at any time you apply for a document confirming right of residence, at the time that you make the application you will need this proof of insurance cover.  Secondly, if you then apply for permanent residency in the UK, you will need to be able to show that you had in place this comprehensive sickness insurance for EEA nationals throughout the time you were living in the UK as a student or self-sufficient person.

You can use the following documents as proof that you have comprehensive sickness insurance:  European Health Insurance Card (EHIC); S1; S2; S3; or an original private health insurance policy document.

It may be that you are an EEA national but are only coming to the UK for a short time and will not be looking at staying here on a full time permanent basis. In this case you can provide an original, valid EHIC issued by an EU member state other than the UK.  Don’t be fooled into thinking that your travel insurance will cover you as it will not.  Most travel insurance is of a temporary nature and for emergency treatment only.

Something else that you can do is to provide a  document called a ‘statement of intent’ with your application.  You can write this statement yourself and it must state that you are in the UK only on a temporary basis.   You should include within this statement  details of any property or business interests that you may have in your home country (to which you will be returning)  together with details of your family back at home, your ties with them and evidence of your visits to see them.  You then need to sign and date this statement.

It is also worth knowing that you can still apply for a document confirming permanent residence even if you have stated that you are in the UK on a temporary basis.   This is because until you have gained permanent residence, you will be classed as being here on a temporary basis.

Further details about  comprehensive sickness insurance requirements for EEA nationals are on the  European Commission website